MenuSearchNews & EventsApply Now BCC Connect Bladen Community College - Student Centered • Future Focused
910.879.5500     Contact Us

State Authorization Information

  • What Is State Authorization?

State Authorization is a legal issue dealing with a college’s adherence to state requirements for colleges to secure authorization to offer instruction in that state. Compliance with individual state requirements is now part of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, Amended 2010.
HEOA 600.9 (c).

If an institution is offering post-secondary education through distance or correspondence education to students in a state in which it is not physically located or in which it is otherwise subject to State jurisdiction as determined by the State, the institution must meet any State requirements for it to be legally offering post-secondary distance or correspondence education in that State. An institution must be able to document to the Secretary [of Education] the State’s approval upon request. (Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1001 and 1002)

  • In What States Is Bladen Community College Authorized To Offer Online Courses?

As a participant in the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) -Electronic Campus, Bladen Community College is authorized to offer Distance Learning courses in the following states: South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, Maryland, Delaware, Louisiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and West Virginia.

This authorization is through participation in the SREB Electronic Campus and its regional reciprocity agreement, SECCRA.

The Electronic Campus coverage ends on June 30, 2017.

Contact Information For Other States

  • Is Bladen Community College Accredited?

Bladen Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Bladen Community College.

Bladen Community College Institutional Status with SACSCOC

  • If a student has a complaint, the student should attempt to resolve the complaint through the Bladen Community College grievance procedure.

Bladen Community College Grievance Procedure

  • If a complaint cannot be resolved through the Bladen Community College’s grievance procedures, students may file a complaint with:

SARA NC (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement North Carolina)
Complaint Process
Complaint Form

The North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints unit. Please review the Student Complaint Policy (PDF), print and complete the Student Complaint Form (PDF) and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints 
University of North Carolina General Administration
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

Regional Accreditor (SACSCOC) Complaint Process
If a student has evidence that an institution is in significant non-compliance with SACSCOC standards, policies, or procedures, the individual should inform SACSCOC using the Complaints Against Institutions: Information Sheet and Form.

  • What about licensure programs offered by Bladen Community College?

Eligibility for licensure and/or certification may involve more than successful degree completion. All Bladen Community College academic programs prepare students to sit for applicable licensure and/or certification in North Carolina. In order to comply with U.S. Department of Education regulations regarding distance education and professional licensure, Bladen Community College is required to make the following disclosure with respect to professional licensure and/or certification outside the state of North Carolina. 

 Bladen Community College cannot confirm whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure and/or certification outside of the State of North Carolina. Please contact applicable licensure board(s) in any state you may want to pursue licensure and/or certification prior to beginning the academic program in order to determine whether the program meets licensure and/or certification requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm program eligibility for licensure and/or certification in any state outside North Carolina.

  • Other Important Links and Information.

Distance Learning Administration

Admissions and Registration Page

College Bookstore

Financial Aid

State Liaisons

Online Courses and Online Programs

Title IX Grievances and Complaints

Grievances and Complaints about courses and programs

Student Complaint Resolution State Form (UNC General Administration Form)

Student Resource Center (Library)

Student Services


Consumer Information

College Catalogs

For Assistance with a Moodle course – Dr. Maurice Mitchell ( 910-879-5606
For Assistance with Email – Mr. Philip Pope ( 910-879-5510
For Assistance with student Webadvisor –Mr. David Gooden ( 910-879-5521