RISE changes due to COVID-19
Currently in place.
- The high school GPA will not expire after 10 years.
- Colleges may use the unweighted high school GPA from a United States high school regardless of graduation date.
- This is currently in place. The RISE advisory board will determine if this remains the permanent policy.
Waiver of Placement Test:
Applicants are required to take the North Carolina Diagnostic Assessment and Placement Reading, Engish, and Math Test to fulfill the admissions requirements at BCC. The placement test may be waived for one of the following reasons:
- If an applicant has received transfer credit for college level English and Math from an accredited college or university.
- If an applicant has achieved acceptable ACT or SAT English, Reading, and Math scores from tests taken within five (5) years prior to the date of enrollment. (See ACT / SAT / PSAT / PLAN SCORES)
- If an applicant has taken an Advanced Placement (AP) English or Math test while in high school and has earned a score of 3 or above.
- If an applicant has taken a College Level Examination Program (CLEP) English or Math test and has earned a score of 50 or above.
- If an applicant is enrolling as a non-degree seeking student taking courses with no prerequisite(s).
ACT / SAT / PSAT / PLAN Scores
Applicants are exempt from placement testing by achieving acceptable ACT or SAT English, Reading, and Math scores from tests taken within five (5) years prior to the date of enrollment. The college will evaluate subject-area ACT or SAT scores to determine if the student is college ready in math and English using the following scores (based on national and state validation studies):
ACT Reading 20 or ACT English 18
SAT Writing 500 or SAT Critical Reading 500 (If taken prior to March 2016)
SAT Evidence Based Reading 480 (Beginning March 2016)
ACT Math 22
SAT Math 500 (If taken prior to March 2016)
SAT Math 530 (Beginning March 2016)